Friday 1 February 2013

How did I land into a career of teaching?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11445550@N00/
As a kid it was not difficult for me to like the teaching profession having been under the care of my excellent and kind teachers in the elementary.  It was so nice to see them in their uniform.  Their kindness and compassion was contagious.

In high school, that desire did not prosper.  I learned that there are other professions which can make people more successful than teaching.  While the desire was still hidden deep within me, the lure of venturing into the a not so known profession was gaining ground.  Then, another childhood desire resurfaced as I entered fourth year high school.  I wanted to be a religious.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40645538@N00/
As a college student, I saw myself studying to be a teacher.  It was the chosen course of my congregation.  It was just fitting since the Brothers of the Sacred is into a teaching ministry.  That's it.  I became a teacher, no regrets.  I love my profession.  I love my calling. It might be a very demanding job but I know deep in my heart I am doing God's work.  It is my way also of thanking Him for the many blessings I receive.  Is it not a double reward when your enjoy what you are doing while at the same time you are being used by God as His messenger to the world, particularly to your students?  

Today, I continue to teach in the college.  Some of my students are education students.  I make a simple survey and I found out that a good number of them are sons and daughters of teachers.  It seems that the calling of a teacher runs in the blood through generations.

What about you?  What is your calling?  If you are a teacher, are you happy?  Do you still see the value, joy and fulfillment of being God's instrument?

May your dreams be blessed.

Randy T.

No comments:

Post a Comment