Wednesday 30 January 2013

Why I love teaching in the Sunday College Program?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26406919@N00/
Six years ago, our school offered a Sunday College Program.  The vision of the school for doing it was to provide opportunities for students who cannot afford the tuition fees offered in the regular college program.  Moreover, the school with its core value of compassion would like to provide opportunities for those working young people who only have weekends to possibly go to school.

That was six years ago.  Today, even the high school and grade school classrooms are being used by the Sunday College students.  Many young and not so young people are enjoying this opportunity to earn a college degree while working during weekdays.

I had the opportunity to teach in this program.  Wow!  It was my first time to teach that I was so inspired doing it.  It doesn't mean I am not anymore inspired teaching.  Teaching remains my passion.  But I was much inspired when I taught in the college program.  Why?  I had observed the passion of students to learn.  When I talked, they really listened.  Curious about my experience, I asked other teachers if they have the same experience.  The answer was a resounding YES.

Teachers love the students. In this program students are more interested compared to our regular students.  They are very active in class. In short, they are very serious. They are hungry for knowledge.  They are desperate.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28035080@N04/

I also discovered  in one of my activities that these students have a very clear goals.  They always say, "I work so hard during weekdays to support my studies.  I don't want to remain very poor.  I would like to help my family."

On the other hand, they put their hearts into their studies because they use their own money to pay for their tuition and other fees.  In other words, they value their money.  This is one thing I consider different from a regular college students who have the luxury of their parents' support.

In real life, their attitudes should be emulated.  Determination to succeed, considering your limitations and sacrifices, should motivate us to be more serious in what we are doing.

As a teacher, I find it very interesting being with these students and be part of their journey. I see my teaching career having more meaning at all.  This is the price of having an education job, being a teacher.

That's why I love teaching in the Sunday College Program of our school.  If you are a teacher, try teaching in this kind of program and you will be inspired like me.

May your dreams be blessed.

Randy T. 

   

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice sir randy.....I reflected on this and this is very true.I am one of those determined students under the Sunday College Program of Cor Jesu College who are trying very hard to become successful despite of the stressful work during weekdays.Thumbs up sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Juvani. Continue to build on your dreams.

    ReplyDelete