Wednesday 27 February 2013

Effective ways to draw out the best in your students

by Randy Tudy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73645804@N00/

I have the privilege of being one of the judges in a speech contest for 2nd year students this afternoon.  The contest was part of the final examination of these students taking up Speech subject.

That was not the first time I acted as a judge on this kind of competition. Thus, I tried to help contestants especially those who were so nervous or those who obviously showed little self-confidence.

As my way of helping them, I kept nodding my head when they got eye contact with me. Why do I do that?

1. Personal experience.  It is part of my personality when I am in front of people to be affected by their reaction. If I’m speaking as a teacher or speaker and I see people nodding their head, I am so encouraged and my speech would normally go well. I gain inspiration and strength based on the reaction of the audience.  I am more effective if I notice the people to be interested on what I am saying.

2. Self-confidence.  I nod my head to let those struggling contestants gain self-confidence.  Seeing me doing such will boast their confidence.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73645804@N00/

3. Agreement.  Obviously, nodding is a sign of affirmation to what one is saying.  Contestants will gain more confidence if they see me agreeing to what they are speaking about.

4. Performance level.  I nod my head because I want the contestants to give their best.  If they develop self-confidence and see that I am agreeing to what they are saying, they will be more encouraged to deliver their best.  In theatre arts, we call it performance level.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59306007@N08/
 As a teacher, it is my mission to draw out the best in each student.  Students have their potentials.  Many times they are hidden.  The role of teachers is to provide avenues where students can tap these potentials and use them to become successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment