Tuesday 19 March 2013

Dream, Passion and Commitment


by Randy Tudy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72825507@N00/
Dream, Passion and Commitment.  This is the opening statement of my wife’s speech as the commencement speaker in her alma matter- Tulunan Elementary School, North Cotabato, Philippines.

Of course, I had to leave from my work and supported my wife with my loving presence.  I was there listening to her very intently.

The message was very strong.  It outlined a framework for success.  I am also a teacher, like my wife, and I work hard for my students’ success. I want them to succeed not only in my class but in their life both in the present and future. 

Let me share my own points on this framework of success. 

Dream.  As teachers, we need to let our students dream.  I feel sad looking at a graduation program of an elementary school which looked like a semi-year book.  Being a very poor school, students could not afford to have a year book.  But through the creativity of the teachers, the commencement program invitation includes the pictures of the graduating students and their ambition in life.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64742456@N00/
 What made me sad?  Two of the students dreamed of becoming a security guard.  I am not downgrading the dignity and work of security guards.  What I was sad about was how the students dream.  When I talk about dreams it should be dreaming big, really big, after all we don’t pay to dream.

As teachers, it is our duty to change the mindset of our students from smallness to greatness.  We need to let their imagination work and force their minds to be creative.  With that they will be more encouraged to work on their dreams.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10209031@N08/
 Passion.  As teachers, we need to let our students be passionate in achieving their dreams.  It starts with being passionate in doing their activities in the classroom.  It means having enthusiasm and positive energies in all they are doing.

Commitment.  As teachers, we need to let our students achieve their dreams with unwavering commitment.  They should be taught in doing their task diligently and to put their 100%.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14546789@N06/
What about us, teachers?  This framework of success is surely ours too.  Personally, I am blessed to have teachers who have big dreams for themselves and their students.  I have teachers who were very passionate of their teaching profession.  I have teachers who showed unwavering commitment.

Fellow teachers, let us continue to dream and never lose sight of it.  Let us continue to be passionate in giving justice to this noble profession.  Let us continue to be the models of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment