Saturday 9 March 2013

Discovering talents among our students

by Randy Tudy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39865926@N00/
Have you known students in elementary who are not performing well but excel in high school or college?  Some of these students are called late bloomers.  Well, this is not only true to students but to a lot of people.

This idea brings me to think of my role as a teacher.  If there are students who only excel in later years, it must be because I am not able to draw out the best in them while they are still with me.  This could be worth reflecting to all teachers.

This is where assessment based on the multiple intelligences comes in. It is part of our mission as teachers to let the students discover their own talents and skills.

The video below is an example of a young girl showing her world class talent.  What I also appreciate about the sponsor (American Idol) is its focus on discovering talents.  I suppose this is also the role of teachers to some degree.  That is why there is high hope for the K to 12 program because Grades 11-12 are the years of mastering particular competencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment